RAF and Lancaster bomber history, memorial and archive website links
I am indebted to a number of sources for the information I've been able to learn about the Lancaster bomber and details of the crew.
RAF and Lancaster history sites
- International Bomber Command Centre - centre and memorial to those who served in Bomber Command in WW2.
- RAF Museum, Hendon - holds a vast amount of information about Bomber Command.
- Lancaster Bombers of 49 Squadron - contains Night Bomber Reports, Loss Cards and other useful information.
- The Lancaster Pages - detailed and extensive resource about the Lancaster bomber.
- RAF Fiskerton - Lancaster - an excellent biography of the bomber.
- Gardening with Bomber Command - an interesting discourse on the mining of sea lanes undertaken by Bomber Command.
- Lancaster Mk I and Mk III Drills - if you ever find yourself at East Kirby and need to taxi 'Just Jane', this manual will help you.
- Lancaster instrument panel - so the above makes sense.
- RAF Grimsby (Waltham) - history of the RAF station.
- 100 Squadron Association - history of the squadron.
- Avro Lancaster W4960 - a wonderfully detailed account of the loss of this Lancaster over Holland on 12 June, 1943.
- Avro Lancaster LM658 - an in-depth history of this bomber lost on ops on the night of 12/13 August, 1944.
- Avro Lancaster ME699 - very well documented history with a plethora of excellent photos.
- Avro Lancaster EE138 - history of a RAAF Lanc lost in September 1943 over Denmark.
- A Pilot's Story - very detailed account of pilot F/L Roy Mather's RAF career from 1941 to 1964.
- The National Archives of Australia - proved to be one of the very best resources for the Australians flying on ED559.
- The National Archives - The UK's archives contains some fascinating documents relating to Bomber Command.
- The War Graves Photographic Project - includes a picture of F/Lt RA Curle's grave.
- Australian War Memorial - contains information of the three Australians lost on ED559.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission - contains a brief biography of every crewmember.